Today we are going to discuss a about hemp powder. Our hemp comes from organic sources, is cold pressed and has very high absorption.
What is hemp powder?
Hemp powder comes from are sterilised seeds of hemp plant (Cannabis sativa). They come from marijuana (bhang) plant but have negligible content of the THC (0.4% THC of tetrahydracannabinol as compared to 10% in marijuana). THC compound is the actual compound that gives the “high”. As hemp powder has none of this, it’s perfectly safe, legal and healthy to consume.
30g of hemp powder contains:
- 16% RDA of iron
- 21% RDA of vitamin E
- 48% RDA of phosphorus
- 48% RDA of magnesium
- 23% RDA of zinc
- 11g protein (15% of the RDA) – This is considerably more protein than chia seeds and flaxseeds.
- 13g of fats containing omega 3 and healthy fats – more than fish oil and fish oil supplements.
- Vitamins A, B1, B2, B6, C and D3 in addition to calcium, sodium and fibre
What are the benefits of hemp powder?
- Hemp powder is beneficial for the heart: Hemp powder improves heart health. It does that by two mechanisms – by relaxing the arteries and by reducing inflammation in the body and arteries which helps heal heart and arteries. The healthy fats in hemp help reduce cholesterol and reduce blood pressure.
- Hemp is great for hair, nails and skin: Because of a healthy ratio of omega three and omega six (3:1), hemp powder and hemp seed oil hemps in soothing the skin and finds great use in dryness, psoriasis, eczema, dry and itchy skin, flaky nails and dandruff.
- Vegetarian and vegan protein source: Very pure (organic; cold pressed), high quality source of plant based proteins with similar protein levels to that of meat. Interestingly, hemp powder is unique as it contains all 20 amino acids required by humans is hence called a complete protein source that is beneficial for vegans, vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike.
- PMS and Menopause: Because of healthy fatty acids which reduce inflammation and balance hormones (like prolactin-the pre-menstrual hormone), hemp reduces PMS pains and could also smooth menopausal transition.
- Antioxidant and immunity: Hemp is also known for reversing of ageing process and providing energy due to its antioxidant effects. As a result, hemp also boosts body’s immune response making you difficult to fall sick and ensuring faster recovery from diseases.
- Better muscle recovery and quality: Because of the gamma linoleic acid, hemp is also known to improve muscle quality and serves as a great vegan post workout recovery food.
- Joint pains and Inflammation: Because of its anti-inflammatory properties, hemp powder also serves as a healing food for inflammatory conditions like diabetes, joint pains and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Weight loss: Because of their healthy fats, which keep you satisfied for longer, hemp powder curb your cravings for sugary and salty foods. Hence they serve as a great weight loss food.
- Aids in digestion: Hemp has loads of both soluble and insoluble fibre, adding bulk to the food and also helping absorption of nutrients from the gut, effectively improving gut health but also helping in digestive situations like constipation.
How to eat hemp powder?
Hemp powder can be eaten by blending them in kefir, yogurt, fruit and vegetable smoothies. You can also have a look at some of the recipes that we have posted here.